Saturday, September 19, 2015

Officially Almost Official

Its has taken me almost 1 year going back and forth with the SOS (Secretary of States) office, Corporations division but I am finally half way to where I need to be. This summer my Non-Profit Corporation Application was approved by the state. The next step is to apply for my 501c3 tax exempt status, which is currently scheduled for Jan, 2016.

**Disclaimer** If your initial SOS Corporation application is done correctly then it should not take a year to receive an approval.

My Corporation is registered in the State of Georgia. They have totally revamped there online submission website so some of the issues I faced when I first submitted my application in Fall 2014, should be none existent at this point. But here is a run down of the process I took. (I am in no way an expert, so you can take this with a grain of salt if you like, this is just my condensed version after reading IRS documents and a few NP start up articles and etc.)

1. Established a "Cause" that you deem worry of the investment of you time, energy and money.

2. Devise a plan of action: either individually or with a small group of individuals that share your passion for your Mission. Which will include drafting a mission statement, researching your target community, is your mission unique, does it have a niche, how do you plan to accomplish your goals......

3. Research the application process: is there certain wordage that must be present in your Articles of Incorporation, the fees, time line, contact persons, is there a deadline .....

4. Draft your Articles of Incorporation

5. Consult with a trusted "Adviser"

6. Submit your state level application for incorporation.

There are tons of resources you can buy off the internet or from a book stores but one of your greatest resources will be your local public library and then the internet.

Here are a few online resources:

Grant Space
Foundation Center
IRS
NASCO
Society for Nonprofits

No comments:

Post a Comment